Thursday 30 August 2012

At the end of the rainbow...

Hello and welcome to the Creative Craft World, blog hop.  If you have arrived here from CCW you will know that the theme of the hop is 'At the end of the rainbow' and we all know that at the end of a rainbow is a pot of gold.  To be in with a chance of winning this 'pot of gold' you need to visit and comment on all the blogs over the next few days finishing up of the 6th September back at Creative Craft World.

As I'm first on the hop list I'm going to kick off with a red project - I seem to have a bit of a reputation for liking red spotted items so I thought I'd make a nice, simple necklace using a red spotted button!
Here's what you will need:
a 29mm fabric covered button (available from Creative Craft World) or here:
a bottle top
jump ring
chain
and not pictured, some silicone glue

Flatten the bottle top in a die cutting machine or get your other half to do it in a vice if you don't have a machine.  


Drill a small hole in the top of the cap.
Add a jump ring.
Squeeze some silicone onto the back side of the button


Carefully place the button onto the bottle cap, pushing down gently and making sure none of the silicone squeezes out.  Leave to dry then thread  the chain through the jump ring and you're done.
Easy and effective.





Of course you don't have to add a button, you could add a stamped image, cover with glossy accents and add mirco beads for a bit of texture or even use an image from a magazine.  It will need to be about 1" in diameter.

Note:  you can buy flattened bottle caps in packs of 10 complete with hole drilled and jump ring added from a well known auction site.

Everyone who leaves a comment on my blog and becomes a follower is in with a chance of winning a small prize.  I haven't decided exactly what yet, but I'm sure it will have something red and something spotted in it!

Thanks for reading.  Now you need to hop along tomorrow to the next blog which is
Scraps of Sarah who will, no doubt, be using orange in her project.

Thanks for joining me and I hope you have a go at my little project.  If you do, post me a link as I'd love to see what you make :)

I have entered the necklace into this challenge - Anything goes at Anything But a Card Challenge Blog




48 comments:

MiniOwner said...

I LOVE that idea, Susi. Thanks for kicking us off with a fab project.
Sue xx

Marianne's Craftroom said...

What an jnusual bloghop, colour themes, great idea and what a fab first project.

Lou said...

Lovely Susi, thank you for sharing think Poppy would like a necklace like that :)

Lou x

Sarah's Little Snippets said...

Beautiful Susi! and thanks for sharing the tutorial too. Another project on my to do list! Sarah xx

Sarah said...

lovely Susi - what a fun necklace and so simple to make x x x Sarah x x x

The British Homemaker said...

Hiya
I just found you through CCW and I am loving the rainbow challenge!!
I'm not one for making jewellry (my fingers are too fat!) but as i too love red and white dots I am going to give this necklace a try...if only to jazz up my dotty top! lol

Karen said...

This is a lovely idea Susi - you could have a whole bunch of them in different colours to match all your ouitfits xxx

Nicky Stevenson said...

Great theme CCW and thanks Susi for a jewellery project that I think even I could manage! x

Suzy said...

How fab and effective is that Susi - I love it - red and spotty are favs of mine too :)

Suzy said...

How fab and effective is that Susi - I love it - red and spotty are favs of mine too :)

Maria said...

aww what fun, and I love your necklace... Ive got the bottle top and a lovely fabric button with a retriever dog on it that would be fab as a necklace, so thtas what I am going to do. Havent got a jump ring but will see if I can caniblaize an old necklace. Love you red spotty one!

butterflyamanda said...

what a great project! thank you for sharing huggs Amanda

Jimjams said...

Oh I've never been brave enough to squash a bottle top in my Big Kick ... does it matter what sort it is?

I love that red spotted button though ... just wondering if using a bit of velcro instead of glue might mean you could ring the changes with your outfits?

Dawn said...

Ooh loving the necklace and Jemma's comments above! Thanks for sharing!

Sue Jones said...

Thats so pretty!

furrypig said...

really effective idea yet simple enough that I might even attempt it! thanks

chris said...

Thanks for this great tutorial, love the theme of the blog hop

heatherblossom said...

how cute is that necklace!:)

Holly Beechey said...

How very cute :) I would like one please!

Lydia said...

my gosh L-O-V-E this and I will be giving it a go !!! im your newest follower xxx

Lydia said...

well I will be when blogger lets me- will try again later xxx

Trish said...

Fab idea Susi! I love the red and white polka dots too :-)
Trish x

Emily C said...

Super cute!I love it more my niece.

Emily C.

Scattychick said...

Great project Susi what a fab start to the rainbow :) Michelle x

lynnyoung1511 said...

Thank for a really interesting project, and I love spotty patterns :)

Sarah x said...

I love spots! What a great idea for a necklace x

K said...

Oooo, fab project! Keep meaning to try bottle caps in my jewellery making.

LoraineC said...

This is the first blog hop I have done what a clever idea love it!

Amanda said...

Great idea. My daughter and her friends would love making these.

Christina Hicks said...

This is so adorable. I didnt know you could flatten them in a die cutting machine, guess what I am gonna try lol.

Unknown said...

So pretty...can ot beat something red and especially red and spotty :)

sixofone aka Leah said...

Lovely necklace. Great gift idea

Diana Fernandez said...

Love your necklace! I adore polka dots! Thank you for joining us over at Anything But a Card, hope to see you next time too!

Hannah said...

What a great idea, I'll definitely be trying it :o)

Margaret said...

Ooohhh...handmade jewelry! Love that bold red spotty button on there!

Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card Challenges!

charlie said...

What a clever idea. This looks really funky and could be made with so many designs

Carolyn Dube said...

What a great idea! Such a cute necklace!

Unknown said...

Crikey Susi, that is a brilliant idea :D I love it, I bet it totally suits you! xxx

Anonymous said...

Great idea :-)
Here from Alipeeps blog :-)

Christine said...

I *heart* your necklace Susi :) Thanks for sharing - will have to give this a go :) x

Christy said...

That's just all kinds of fabulous!!!! Thanks for joining us at ABAC :) :)

littlenat said...

What a cool necklace!

Fran said...

Thats brilliant - thankyou

Terri said...

So pretty and simple! I love red spotty things too! x

Pat said...

Great Idea

Yolanda said...

Oh lovely, I love buttons and my DD would just love this.

sharon said...

Lovely, thanks for sharing x

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Thanks for sharing your pretty red polka dot pendant with everyone at ABAC! This is a fantastic project - thanks for the step-by-step. I will never view bottle caps the same again :)